Due to the popularity surrounding saunas, it is only natural that a lot of fake information flies about. One thing people want to be sure of is whether Infrared saunas good for Arthritis?. A lot of people claim that it works for things which it can actually not help. Sometimes, people rightly identify what it solves but wrongly identify how it solves it and to what extent.
For example, when it comes to weight loss, there are lots of misguided and incorrect information surrounding it. While saunas help in weight loss, it is actually a gradual and step-by-step process that must be complemented by exercise and healthy living. One of the many things said about infrared saunas is that it is great for arthritis. In this post, we will discuss whether or not the usage of a sauna can help people with arthritis.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is also known as ‘joint inflammation’. Arthritis occurs when one or more joints of the body are inflamed. It is not a single condition and there are various types of arthritis. Arthritis causes pain and stiffness. Worse still, arthritis gets worse as one gets older. This means that people who develop arthritis suffer more as the years pass.
In America, over 54 million people suffer from Arthritis. That is up to 23 percent of the entire population of all the adults. Unlike what a lot of people think, Arthritis doesn’t only plague adults. It even affects children and teenagers. Arthritis is no doubt a serious problem that plagues a lot of people and because of this, it is important that anything that can relive it should be done.
Can Arthritis Be Cured?
Unfortunately, it cannot be cured. Arthritis is not a single condition and so it cannot be cured. A lot of things combined cause the final result which is inflammation of joints. However, there is a small compensation. Although it cannot be cured, it can be relived. There are a number of things that have been proven to relieve arthritis and make it a lot more bearable.
Are Infrared Saunas Good For Arthritis?
Yes, infrared saunas have been proven to relieve pains caused by arthritis. This is because heat reduces the level of pain by soothing stiff and painful joints. Research was carried out on people suffering from arthritis. 17 people suffering from each type of arthritis were selected.
Over the course of 4 weeks, these people were given infrared saunas treatments twice a week which amounts to eight sessions. At the end of the four weeks, the people were rounded up and evaluated. It was discovered that the pain and stiffness reduced significantly. In addition, there were no side effects attached.
Another study was conducted on Saunas for arthritis. This Dutch study was carried out on 34 patients who were diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. After 4 weeks of treatment, the patients reported experiencing relief from the pains in their joints.
Across the world, a lot of people who suffer from this condition are able to reduce the pains greatly by the use of infrared saunas.
How To Use Saunas For Arthritis Treatment
If you suffer from arthritis and are wondering how to relieve yourself through the use of infrared saunas, here is a detailed guide for you.
Step 1- Purchase an infrared sauna
There are multiple affordable infrared saunas that you can purchase. Check out some of the best and affordable infrared saunas. Remember that choosing an infrared sauna is very important. If you want to choose one, you should make sure to do it right. When you purchase one, you can move on to the next stage.
Step 2- Purchase a great essential oil
A lot of people make use of saunas without using essential oils. Some even make use of essential oils however, they do not make use of the right ones. Essential oils are oils extracted from plants. These oils contain the aroma of the parent plant. These oils are extracted through various methods. These methods ensure that the main essence and aroma of the plant is captured. These essential oils have various benefits and uses. They help improve the work your sauna does.
If you have arthritis, here are some of the best essential oils you should use.
Birch is a great essential oil that works for a lot of illnesses. For starters, it works as a sanitizer as it helps kill germs and bacteria. It also helps detoxify the body and improves the skin as they are anti-aging, and skin conditioning. Birch oil is also loved as it helps tone the skin. It is great for the skin and treats skin problems like acne, ringworm, and eczema. However, that is not the reason it is great for arthritis. Birch oil is great for arthritis because it has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps reduce pain and improves blood circulation. It is great for people with arthritis.
Pine essential oil will help you if you have arthritis. It helps with chest congestion problems. It also treats acne. However, more importantly, it has anti-inflammatory properties. It relieves pains. This includes joint pains and headaches. As a bonus, it boosts energy. If you do not make use of pine oil, you should.
Cinnamon isn’t only great on food. It can ease your arthritis too. It has anti-inflammatory properties and will greatly relieve your joints. It also boosts energy and helps people with chest congestion issues. It also helps improve blood circulation in the body and improves metabolism.
Sandalwood is another essential oil you should make use of. This is one of the most widely used essential oils by aged people for many reasons. Firstly, it is anti-inflammatory and so, it would benefit people with arthritis as it would relieve pains in joints and muscles. That’s not all, it also helps lower blood pressure. If you suffer from high blood pressure, get an infrared sauna and make use of sandalwood essential oils. Sandalwood essential oil is also known to help with sleep as it is very calming. It is also proven to help treat spasms. Lastly, it has anti-aging properties.
Step 3- Use Your Sauna 2- 6 Times Weekly
When you purchase these two, it is best to make sure of it two to six times a week. The more you use it, the more relief you’ll get from your arthritis. Make sure not to use your sauna for more than 30 minutes at a time. Remember that if you are just starting, you should start off from around 15 minutes and work your way up.
These oils all have individual advantages. You can read up more on essential oils here. Luckily, you do not have to limit yourself. You can purchase multiple essential oils and rotate them.
Dos and Don’ts of Arthritis
If you suffer from arthritis and make use of infrared saunas, there are some things you must take note of. Even if you make use of infrared saunas and do some things, you could worsen the situation of your arthritis.
Here are some things you should not do if you have arthritis.
- Do not bathe with cold water- Avoid bathing with cold water. If you live in a hot place, there will always be that temptation to take a cold bath. If that temptation is there, ignore it as a cold bath can only worsen the situation of your arthritis. Avoid bathing in cold water.
- Do not keep your joints immobilized- Your joints will suffer from immobility. Stretch from time to time and above staying in a single position for too long.
- Stop Smoking-Smoking has been proven to put stress on connective tissues. Stress on connective tissues will worsen your joints pain.
- Do not use bad posture- Staying in a bad posture is a sure way to worsen your arthritis. If you suffer from arthritis, take care to maintain a good posture always. This will greatly relieve any pain you may experience and it won’t worsen it.
- Avoid being overweight- Being overweight can further increase and complicate your arthritis. Watch your weight. In addition, being overweight can cause a lot of other health problems. Eat healthily and watch your weight. As a bonus, using an infrared sauna can help you lose weight.
- Avoid some exercises- If you have arthritis you should avoid jumping, tennis, running, high-impact acrobatic exercises.
- Avoid overtreatment- Take the medication given to you by your doctor and nothing more. A lot of people over-medicate and this causes its own problems. Consult your doctor before taking any drugs.
Here are some things you should do if you have arthritis
- Make use of a sauna- As we have discussed, a sauna can help relieve your arthritis pains greatly.
- Exercise- When you exercise your body, your joints are not immobile and the pains cannot be worsened. Exercise from time to time. Even if you cannot exercise all the time, do some stretches and walk from place to place.
- Eat healthily- Eating healthy will help strengthen your bones and help keep your weight at a great level. Remember that being overweight will complicate your arthritis.