So you have heard about the benefits of infrared saunas then you decided to buy one. After doing a little research, you realized there are different kinds of infrared saunas apart from the generic traditional sauna namely, Near Infrared Sauna and Far Infrared Sauna. Now, you are somewhat confused about which to get. This infrared sauna review will help you have a grasp of both near infrared and far infrared saunas and their different benefits.
Quick view of our Top 3 Best Infrared Sauna
This reviews below solely focus on the Best Infrared Sauna in 2020. A Sauna is basically a small room where heat is generated and used as a hot-air or steam bath for cleaning and refreshing the body. Conventionally, the heat derived from saunas were usually generated by steam. Infrared saunas are definitely the biggest innovation when it comes to sauna therapy. Our top 3 best infrared sauna review would set you on the right part. These are highly effective saunas that have definitely received their fair share of attention from influencers, celebrities, physicians, health experts and various other professionals.
Most physicians and wellness aficionados are already aware of these tools, as they have been used by hospitals and medical centers as means of increasing the growth of babies that are born prematurely, as well as supporting the healing of the elderly and athletes. These saunas have also been used for relaxing the skin, detoxification, cardiovascular therapy, weight loss and pain reliving.
What is an Infrared Sauna?
An Infrared Sauna is a sauna that uses infrared light to heat the body in an enclosed cabin or room. The infrared heat could either be of high or low electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs) depending on the sauna type. Infrared light is the invisible light which is part of the sun’s spectrum such as ultraviolet light (UV). An infrared sauna can operate at a lower temperature (usually between 120˚F and 140˚F) than a generic traditional sauna, which is typically between 150˚F and 180˚F. You might want to check out our collection of the best infrared saunas right away for your perusal.
Do Infrared Saunas Work?
Infrared saunas work through the use of infrared wavelengths of lights. These wavelengths are used to provide heat to the body (as opposed to regular saunas that just heat up the surrounding areas off the body instead). With infrared saunas, there are usually three wavelengths of heat; short, medium, and far. The far wavelengths are the most intense, as the heat provides so much of a vibration to the heat molecules of the body that they break down. This way, toxins are released in a healthy way, as you simply sweat them out of your body.
The temperatures of infrared saunas usually range from 110 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, as opposed to the stereotyped 160 that is known everywhere. This means that the atmosphere inside an infrared sauna is dry and cozy, unlike the misty and sweltering one that you get with other conventional saunas.
It is also important to note that infrared saunas are of two (2) types namely;
- Near Infrared Sauna.
- Far Infrared Sauna.
Basically, these two variants of infrared saunas function differently and produce unique but similar results. Quickly read a brief overview of the differences between a Near & Far Infrared Sauna in a few minutes.
Overall Benefits of an Infrared Sauna
One of the most effective and natural means through which the body gets rid of toxins is through sweating. Infrared saunas are especially effective as they allow you to eliminate about 7 times more sweat than the conventional saunas.
- Promoting relaxation
The heat provided by the infrared sauna promotes muscle relaxation also, thanks to infrared sauna therapy, your body’s cortisol levels are balanced, and this will definitely go a long way in helping you to feel relaxed.
- Relief from pain
Infrared saunas help improve blood circulation and promote muscle relaxation; these will definitely help in alleviating the pain caused by muscle or joint issues.
- Weight loss
Thanks to heat provided by infrared saunas, the body’s core temperature is increased, and this means an increase in the heart rate and body metabolism. When your body has more work to do in order to keep your core temperature down, then it will burn more calories. Ergo, weight loss occurs.
- Skin purification
- Thanks to the heat provided by infrared technology, the toxins in your body are expelled from your pores, and circulation will improve. This will result in clearer and healthier skin.
- Better circulation
Another consequence of the increased core temperature is the improved level of circulation that your body will receive.
How To Get Best Results From Using a Sauna
These are a few tips you could put to practice in other to get the best results from using a sauna:
Do away with clothes:
To get the best from your infrared sauna, you might actually want to go in there in your birthday suit. You can wear trunks or a swimsuit if you want to, but there really is no need for one (especially if the sauna will be in a private room, in a private environment)
Never take your phone in:
While the environment of the infrared sauna is dry and cozy, and not musky. Regardless, it is a bad idea to take your phone in there. It won’t take the heat.
Make sure to drink water:
When you sweat out your toxins in such a way as the infrared sauna makes you to, it is a very essential step to keep yourself hydrated. To wit, make sure to take in as much water as you possibly can.
You just did a lot of sweating. To ensure proper cleanliness, you will definitely need to take a thorough shower after a session in the sauna.
How to Select the Right Infrared Sauna
When about to get yourself a sauna, there are a few things to consider:
Before purchasing a sauna of your choice, it is important to consider your budget. There are a couple of budget friendly saunas you could buy out there without having to rob a bank. They come in different size, shapes, features and alluring designs.
If you are one that is keen on aesthetics, saunas that meet your desires are available too. In recent years, sauna manufacturers have been very creative about the design of their products having their customers in mind. Saunas now come with different physical designs, size and features. Some of the feature available include Speakers, CD Player, MP3 Auxiliary Connection, Radio and Touch display. Extra sauna kits include back rest and neck rest.
The amount of power consumed is another factor to consider when buying a sauna. Modern infrared saunas are power friendly and require little amount of energy to power them. Some infrared saunas use as low as 1.6KW of power to generate heat. You need to think about this so you do not get to incur huge electricity bills.
Maximum Number of Person Usage Per Time:
Each sauna made has a maximum number of persons that can make use of it at any point in time. You can make sure to get a sauna that fits your required usage or family. There are saunas for available for 1 person, 2 persons, 3 persons, and 4 persons.
If you need a personal sauna unit for yourself check our best portable infrared saunas.
Maintenance Cost: The cost of maintaining your sauna unit cannot be overemphasized as it has a lot to do with your finance after purchase. It would be unwise of you to buy a sauna unit that requires a fortune from you just to keep it in good shape. Your best bet is to get you a sauna that would go gentle on your pocket when it has to do with maintenance.
Traditional Sauna vs Infrared Sauna: Which is Best?
There are two types of saunas; the traditional and the infrared. The traditional saunas use materials like wood and steam to produce heat while the infrared saunas use infrared heaters to produce heat. The basic reason that makes the infrared saunas differ is the quality of the material used to make the heat emitter.
Type of Emitter in Infrared Sauna
There are two major kinds of emitters found in infrared saunas. They are; Carbon emitters and the Ceramic emitters. What distinguishes both is heater size, heat range and heat intensity provided by each sauna emitter.
Carbon emitters are so far the best type of infrared saunas. The carbon-fibred emitters are better than the ceramic emitters in a number of ways.
Benefits of Carbon Infrared Emitter
- Production of longer wavelengths which is easily taken in by the human body to produce better health results.
- They have larger heaters and run at lower surface temperature which spreads heat evenly around the sauna for better coverage of the body.
- They have a larger surface area.
Ceramic emitters can be customized and are recommended for you if you want to build your personal sauna unit.
Benefits of Ceramic Infrared Emitters
- They have a very high emissivity rating so they produce a lot of infrared heat.
- They have a higher infrared efficiency.
Review of the Top Best Infrared Sauna in 2020
Listed below is a review of our best infrared sauna:
1. Dynamic Saunas Barcelona Infrared Sauna (AMZ-DYN-6106-01)
This sauna is known for its high quality, which is made possible by the Reforested Canadian Hemlock material. Thanks to its thick exterior and interior wood planks, this sauna is able to work faster and retain even more heat. It measures 39 inches in width, 72 inches in height, and 35 inches in length. This means that it is much smaller, and is suitable for no more than 2 people at a time.
Also, apart from being cost effective, the high-quality material used to make this sauna means that it is highly durable, and you will be able to make use of it for a long time. This unit of the Barcelona infrared sauna is made on dual construct hemlock wood, and this makes it able to insulate temperature more accurately. With a tempered glass finish on bronze-tinted pigment, the sauna is also able to filter any outer light source.
2. JNH Lifestyle Freedom Infrared Sauna
JNH is undoubtedly one of the foremost manufacturers of infrared saunas in the world today for this reason it made our list for the best infrared sauna 2020. With this model, they proved why. This sauna is made from Canadian Hemlock Wood; a high-quality product that has a well refined and smoothened material which provides a balanced and strong feel to the sauna. It is unique and can sit two people comfortably and conveniently.
Designed to have a double-layered structure, the unit more durable while also being able to retain warmth and provide even better insulation. This is especially useful, as all you need is heat in your body. This sauna has 5 carbon fiber heaters that have been positioned all over the unit in order to optimize the effect of the heating process just like other infrared saunas in the JHN sauna collections.
A plus side of this particular infrared sauna is its ease to set-up.
3. Clearlight Essential Far Infrared Sauna
The Clearlight Essential Far Infrared Sauna is very convenient and highly effective, thanks to the use of grade “A” clear Nordic Spruce wood, the True Infrared II Technology, and True Wave II Ultra Low EMF heaters. It is safe, and the material used in making it has been certified as eco-friendly. This sauna is made up of both ceramic and carbon heaters. These will produce high infrared output, which will in turn lead to some excellent results. There is also a ceramic and carbon floor heater.
This sauna also features chemotherapy, as well as a digital keypad that will provide control over features like time, light intensity, and temperature.
Differences Between a Near & Far Infrared Sauna – NIR vs FIR
What is a Near Infrared (NIR) Sauna?
Near infrared sauna emit very low levels of electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs) and it basically combine heat therapy together with light therapy. When in use, it allows for the air to stay cooler while heating the body because of the spectrum of light it operates which is close to the visible spectrum.
Benefits of Near Infrared Sauna
- Detoxification: Near infrared Sauna helps get rid of skin issues and other body pain. This process of detoxification produces results and is less revolting than what you’d get with a far infrared sauna.
- Weight Loss: Near infrared sauna helps to raise body temperature thereby burning calories especially by sweating.
- Skin Rejuvenation: Series of sessions in a NIR will help rejuvenate the skin and improve the topical surface of the skin. It also aid the glowing of the skin.
- Deeper Penetration: NIR heat energy penetrates deeper into the body and thus has a greater effect in the body. Research have shown that the light may get as deep as 9 inches into the body.
- Electromagnetically Safer: Due to the low level of EMFs being emitted through infrared light, NIR tend to emit a kind of heat that is similar to natural sunlight. The body absorbs natural sunlight in order to get vitamin D with nourishes the skin. Also, the spectrum of light emitted by near infrared saunas stimulate the organs of elimination in the body such as the kidney, liver, large intestine and adrenal glands. Far infrared sauna emit higher EMFs that are harmful to the body.
- Low Power Consumption: Near infrared saunas tend to consume lesser electricity compared to a far infrared sauna because it operates at a much lower temperature.
What is a Far Infrared (FIR) Sauna?
A far infrared sauna emit light heat in the far infrared range. The kind of light it emits is of a higher level of electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs) which might pose to be harmful if abused. The heat generated in the far infrared spectrum doesn’t penetrate the body as well as that of the near infrared spectrum.
Benefits of Far Infrared Sauna
- Detoxification: Though both near infrared sauna and far infrared sauna help to detoxify the body, the far infrared sauna can detoxify the body much faster up to 7 times more effectively than a near infrared sauna. The will cause the body to sweat quickly and produce toxins to induce fat based sweats and burn calories. Dr. Raleigh Duncan the founder of Clearlight Infrared Saunas once said it possible to burn as much as 600 calories per 30-minute session.
- Better Relaxation: Relaxation is one of the major benefits of using an infrared sauna. A far infrared sauna particularly helps promote relaxation by balancing the cortisol level of the body. Cortisol is an important hormone that regulates body stress.
- Weight Loss: Far infrared saunas helps to raise body temperature and burn more calories easily and much faster than a near infrared sauna unit.
- Better Circulation: Far infrared sauna heating procedures penetrates deeply and greatly stimulates blood circulation, reduce inflammation and pain, and enhance muscle recovery.
Our concluding remarks aims to assure you that both the near and far infrared sauna types are safe to use. Usage of any will largely depend how, where and what it is to be used. Research have shown that there are no known dangers associated with the usage of any type of sauna be it infrared or traditional sauna. Therefore, this statement can be buttressed with this informational article on the diverse benefits of sauna.